It is correct to assume that all viewers are different in how they operate.
All vendors, when developing their S1000D IETP Viewers will generally work to the requirements matrix detailed in chapter 6.4.2 of the S1000D Specification. This functionality matrix outlines the functionality that can be found in many different levels of IETP Viewer. Some vendors may have all the features, whereas others will only have some of them. Other vendors may have included additional functionality in their S1000D software that is not mentioned in the matrix.
As a prospective user of this technology, you need to be aware of the functionality that is available in the above chapter but you also need to know what your end user requirements are. Remember one thing, the higher the level of functionality that you want in your viewer, the more you may need to pay for the Viewer.
Why would I want a HTML Viewer vs GUI based IETP Viewer? What are the pros and cons of each?
When planning a project and deciding on the best method of delivery for the final IETP output, two types of viewing tools come to mind.
They are a pure HTML viewer (usually zero install on the device) and a GUI type viewer. These both come with their advantages and disadvantages.
Depending on where the IETP is going to be used, such as standalone laptops/tablet PCs, network capable workstations, inside hardware running LINUX or over the internet from external locations, the selected viewer could be limiting, therefore you may need to have a combination of both types of viewers to suit all possible scenarios/environments
Questions to consider when choosing an IETP Viewer type:
- Does the network where the viewer is going to be installed allow the installation of third party tools?
- Does the network allow the use of Active X or Java?
- Do you have to be on the local network to access the IETP or can it be accessed from outside the intranet through VPN or internet portal?
- Will the users even be on a network, or do they need to access the IETP on stand-alone devices in remote locations (off-line)
- Who needs to have access to the IETP and what should they have access to?
- What base level of functionality is required for the IETP?
- Does the vendor charge for their S1000D IETP Viewer and how much. How do you manage licenses if users in various locations, on and off the network.
For more information
Details about ADG’s Royalty FREE S1000D Viewer – R4i Viewer are available here!